PROFESSIONAL EDGE with columnist Kim R. Wells, from the WWW.BLACKCOLLEGIAN.COM Career Center

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Strategies for Internal Career Advancement

Recently a reader wrote the Black Collegian and requested that Kim R Wells provide some advice regarding the following situation.

Reader Message:

Hi,I have a question, if you would be kind to answer for me. I would really appreciate it. I am working in a company, and like my work, but it is not exactly in my preferred line of work. I would need to do some academic upgrading before I can really get the job I want there. I recently went for a job interview which is in the same department as the the job I really want. However, I realized in the interview that I might not be happy with the corporate culture for this job, and with the expectations to work overtime and on weekends (occasionally). If I am offered this job, how can I politely refuse without causing any hard feelings among the people in that department, with HR, and with my present co-workers. ---Salary? Present co-workers? I still want to move on eventually but I thought this would be a good step forward. They caught on to that fact during the interview, and asked me if this is a stepping stone in my path to a better job. I said it would probably be several years before I completed enough academic upgrading, but eventually I would like to move on.

KRW Response:

Dear Reader,

I like the fact that you are looking to the future and seem willing to take the next steps in your career through education and exploring job opportunities with your current company. Too many professionals totally overlook opportunities with current employer, and don't consider the excellent "in-house" opportunities for training, tuition assistance programs and other programs such as mentoring that can assist in achieving their career goals.

Also remember while you are pursuing your career goals there will always be seasons when you may need to strategically accept opportunities that are not exactly what you want at the time, but could assist you in the long run in moving forward with your career goals. Most successful professionals will tell you that they had to be flexible at various times in their career and take opportunities that would assist them in achieving their goals, but maybe were not exactly want they wanted at the time. If you are flexible, you can build certain professional competencies you need to develop, get in the "right" department, or find jobs that enable you to visibly "show your stuff" to the right people in the organization. Being flexible and taking strategic "side-steps" in your career can also assist you in receiving great mentors, training, and gain valuable experience that you can leverage to achieve your long term career goals.

Don’t worry about the extra hours and occasional weekends unless you have childcare needs or have other personal issues that may be of concern (and if so speak confidentially to a human resources professional that may be able to assist you by identifying programs or flexibility within the opportunity that will enable you to take the position). I suspect that when you move to the top of your profession, overtime, and weekends will still be a part of your professional life. Sometimes we need to determine what we are willing to sacrifice in order to achieve our greatest goals. Very few people "stumble to the top" most get there through being competent and willing to work hard for what they want.

Also remember that most quality employers recruit employees with the intention of developing the new hires skills and overall value to the organization. If an employer is not excited about your development and career advancement, be careful that there may be other more serious problems at play in the organization that may warrant your keeping your eyes open to other opportunities outside of the company.

If you have already informed this group that you will not be taking the position, don’t worry about it as long as you did it in a timely and professional manner. I suggest a great letter outlining the areas that were of some concern as a follow-up, but be sure to express that you still have a long-term interest in working in that area. Consider also keeping contact with them in case another more desirable situation should open up in the future. Keep moving forward in developing your skills and talents, I wish you all the best in pursuing your goals. Keep me posted at kwells@howard.edu or write back through the blog.


Kim R. Wells

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello there thanks for your grat post, as usual ((o: